Monday, April 19, 2004

Chicagoko Aberri Eguna

A few days ago my friend Igor who lives in Chicago informed me about the celebration on Sunday 18th of the Aberri Eguna by the Basque comunity living in the windy city.

Right off the bat there was two problems; first of all my piece of shit car simply won't make it to Chicago, second, I was scheduled to work on Sunday.

I was not about to allow those two pity details to ruin my chance to meet with the few Basques living in the Midwest, so I called my co-worker Bryan to see if he could cover for me, he said yes without hesitating. Then I decided to rent a car to solve problem number two.

Next I proceeded to contact some friends to see if they wanted to tag along, the bad thing about short notice is that people usually have plans for the weekend, as a result no one could come, there was the one that didn't even bother getting back at me, that person is on the shit list now.

The trip to Chicago was uneventful with the exception of a fender bender that involved two SUV's and one van on Lakeshore Drive, and thanks to Mapquest it was easy to find the place which was not too far from the Loyola University, as on the Basque fella Ignatius de Loyola who founded the Jesuit order.

It was a lot of fun, I met some excellent people and had the chance to engage on brainy and fun conversations with quite a few of them, note to myself, I need to print some business cards for events like this one. Around 3:00 pm we ate and then there was some dancing to Basque music that would be a delight for any Irish person. I had to call it quits around 7:00 pm because one, I was getting tipsy and that is a long arse ride all the way back home from Chicago and two, the previous night some friends came by the house and we had dinner and drinks until 2:00 am, so I was a little tired.

I hope I can continue to meet with these most excellent Baskos from Chicago, and don't forget:

Gora Euskal Herria!

.... ... .

No comments:

Post a Comment