Thursday, February 21, 2002

Lovers of the Arctic Circle

Well, today I saw the movie "Lovers of the Arctic Circle" by Julio Medem.

This director was born in San Sebastian (Donostia) in the Basque Country, his movies have been earning good reviews both by critics and movie geeks. It is quite an unique movie, the story line keeps jumping back and forth and the characters inner struggles are very well expresed, through silence.

A friend at one of the Yahoo Clubs I belong to recommended it to me, he started by saying he liked the way the director drops the tragic events of Gernika in the movie. I went to IMDB as soon as I finished watching the movie and I found two movies by this director at Amazon on DVD.

They are called "Vacas" (Cows) and "Tierra" (Earth), and from the reviews and comments, it looks like they are good movies, I am interested on "Vacas" since it follows 3 generations of 2 basque families in Bizkaia.

Last night I watched "Requiem for a Dream" by Aronofsky, the director of "Pi". It is a gutsy movie, not easy to witness these folks lives crumble under their feet. Once again Aronofsky indulges in that weird camera takes were everything moves around the characters face. Combinations of slow and quick motion plus unique paning makes this movie great. The performances by the actors is excellent, never thought that Jennifer Connelly and the Wayans guy could be so raw.

Two movies worth watching.

.... ... .

No comments:

Post a Comment