Sunday, June 01, 2003

The US Basque Petition

Sometimes I wish I could deliver a speech as efective as the one that Mel Gibson utters in the movie "Braveheart", I can only wish.

For the last couple of years I have been working with a dedicated group of Basques and all kinds of other people friendly to the Basque dream of self determination, it has been an unforgettable experience, for the longest time I thought I was alone, I thought the only one that saw that were there is a will there is a way and my will was to find ways to end the violence that has engulfed so many generations of Basques and give my people a chance to be known around the world, to be understood. All we want is to be what we are, to contribute to the greatness of humankind as what we are, Basques.

Finally I met the right people, folks that reject violence in all its forms, folks willing to give peace a chance. We are now working on the finishing touches of an organization that will work with the media and other human rights organizations to present to them and to the international community what the Basque nation is all about, without the curtain of missinformation, bias and ethnic hatrage in which our identity is maipulated and denied.

Is a giant task, but no one said it was going to be easy, on our side are the statutes of many international treaties that protect the rights of any people to their self determination, on our side is also the Basque commitment to democracy and the will to find a peaceful way to end Spain and France's occupation of our land.

Here is the first step, a petition to the US State Department to look into the situation and broker a meeting to resolve the so called Basque issue, please, if is in your heart, go to the site and sign the petition, some of you already did and I will be forever grateful to you.

The US Basque Petition

.... ... .

No comments:

Post a Comment