Monday, June 13, 2005

Gastronostia: Basque Gastronomy

The Basque Country is famous for its cuisine.

Chefs from Euskal Herria are hailed as some of the best around the world.

Now, there is a new blog that is out to prove this, the name, Gastronostia.

Here you have a hearty portion of the opening post:
The Basque Country stands apart, not only from Spain but from the rest of Europe, in part due to its amazing food. Ranging from the normal kitchen output from the average ama de casa to Michelin starred restaurants, the pure quality of ingredients and the care and imagination shown produce world class dishes.

Great tradition is complemented by innovation, methods are passed from generation to generation. Seasonal produce is always used and combined in an authentic Basque way.
And there is already one recipe available:

Alubias de Tolosa.

Enjoy!

.... ... .

4 comments:

  1. Hum, food!!!
    I'm sure to try some of the recipies you'll post.

    Meanwhile, I came here to show you this:

    "Em Espanha, a unidade nacional é uma quimera, somente mitigada pela figura do Rei. Os bascos, os galegos e os catalães são, antes de espanhóis, bascos, galegos e catalães. O que os une, separando-os, é a Língua, elemento com um poder impetuoso, capaz de edificar comunidades ou dilacerá-las."

    This is small part of a text, about the importance of language, in this blog:

    http://estrangeiros.blogspot.com/

    I read it, and thought of your struggle (it's written is a somewhat complex but complete portuguese, but you might understand some parts of it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ups, I just noted that the Gastronostia isn't your blog :S

    ReplyDelete
  3. J, I can see that the prospect of good food blinds you a bit.

    Just kidding.

    I went to your friends page, it is quite interesting, thanks.

    I do understand writen Portuguese, just don't have me trying to speak it because I'll choke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I found your comment months after you posted it but I appreciate it. I point people in the direction of the Basque Country in general and have fuck all time to work on my blog, but I know that people in the UK are interested in how things are here. This is mainly because middle class english snobs want to shun spain but still want to holiday here on the peninsula! Therefore they refer to the Basque Country as...The Real Spain or La Costa Verde, etc, and will soon be coming here in droves for their posh holidays. The least I can do is try to educate them a little bit before they get here, about how people are, or think, and aslo wqhere to get something fantastic to eat! Anyway, urte berri on!

    ReplyDelete