Saturday, July 24, 2004

Mostar's Old Bridge


During the Balkan War if there was one country that endured the most wrecking effects of an armed conflict, that country was Bosnia.

Compared to the killing of 8,000 men and boys in the town of Srebrenica at the hands of the Serb forces what happened in Mostar does not look too bad.

On November 9th of 1993 the Croatians shelled the town and destroyed the Ottoman style bridge that connected both parts of the city. For many, the destroyed bridge came to identify the savagery of war.

Yesterday the town of Mostar marked the opening of their new bridge that is an exact replica of the old one. People from all around the world went there to take part of the celebrations. The people from Mostar hope that the new bridge will be identified as a link of friendship between Bosnians and Croatians.

For the good of humankind, I wish it is so.


Mostar Old Brigde Posted by Hello
.... ... .

2 comments:

  1. This opening was,awesome,I'm so happy that I was there. I love my city Mostar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mostar seems like a beautiful city, one day I will have to go check it out for myself.

    ReplyDelete